Earlier today this one girl was talking about how racism only happens if you’re too sensitive and that words are just words and that rather than being offended by how dismissive of the experiences of people who deal with racism she was being, you should just be like her and not let it affect you. Then she announced that she was going to smoke a bowl and watch this week’s Game of Thrones and not care about any of this
Having just started A Feast For Crows earlier last week I went ahead and spoiled the next two seasons of Game of Thrones for her but don’t worry! It’s okay, words only have the meaning you give them so she can just conveniently forget who any of the characters are forever and it’ll be fine
I am the beast, I am the light
I am the blighted being cursed with sight
I am the god who created a world
I am leviathan, the girl.
here are some cool facts for you
- it has been proven time and again in study after study that there is no correlation between mental illness and violent behavior, except in that mentally ill people are more likely to have substance abuse problems and there is a correlation between substance abuse and violence. mental illness itself is not a risk factor for violent behavior
- yes that includes mental illnesses with psychotic features
- “In this study, the prevalence of violence among those with a major mental disorder who did not abuse substances was indistinguishable from their non-substance abusing neighbourhood controls. A concurrent substance abuse disorder doubled the risk of violence. Those with schizophrenia had the lowest occurrence of violence over the course of the year (14.8%), compared to those with a bipolar disorder (22.0%) or major depression (28.5%). Delusions were not associated with violence, even ‘threatcontrol override’ delusions that cause an individual to think that someone is out to harm them or that someone can control their thoughts.” (x)
- you hear that, motherfuckers
- mentally ill people - and yeah, even (especially!) those who are sick in what you think of as The Crazy Way - are not more dangerous than people without mental illnesses. it’s not ambiguous. it’s not a matter of debate
- how then do you justify using slurs that paint mentally ill people as dangerous
- how do you justify it when mentally ill people are two and half to four times more likely to be the victims of violent crime than average
- how do you justify it when mentally ill people are at an elevated risk for domestic violence and abuse
- how do you justify it when mentally ill people are almost universally the subjects of ridicule or fearmongering in popular media
- how do you justify it when mentally ill people are massively more likely to be unemployed and/or homeless than people without mental illnesses
- how do you justify it when mentally ill people are coerced and abused by the professionals who are supposed to help them
- how do you justify it when mentally ill people are afraid to seek help at all because of social stigma
- how do you justify it when these aren’t just suspicions but observable facts
- how the FUCK do you justify it
POC who live here in America:
I realize you’re hurt by the ignorant words of “white people” who don’t know what they’re talking about, and I’m sorry.
But I have a question for you. In this “land of the free”…aren’t you free? What are their words doing to you, unless you LET them affect you? I thought this was a free country, where people were allowed to speak their minds, and other people were allowed not to listen.
But maybe I was wrong. Maybe the words of people are so strong that it’s impossible to stand up against them. Which is sad, and basically means our country is full of weak people.
No matter what race or gender I am, I would never let people’s words affect me. Don’t you realize they’re just words? Words are not physical, they will not capture and torture you. They won’t keep you from getting a job (and if your race is keeping you from getting a job, that’s the owners problem, not every white person), and they won’t kill you.
Unless you let them.
So take pride in who you are and stop listening to stupid people. It’s that easy. Once you let go of worrying about what other people think, your life will be a hell of a lot easier. And a lot less stressful.
Empower yourself. Empower your own life.
“once you let go of ‘worrying what people think and say’, then magically all this will disappear! “
“RACISM CAN’T AFFECT YOU UNLESS YOU LET IT!!!”
White people who live here in America:
Next time you want to give empowering advice to POC, don’t. Empower yourself to be less ignorant.
Reblogging for a great collection of resources.
It was my art-theraphy
haha i’m glad to know! i felt bad about spoiling you
tags with slashes in them, such as #personal/, have long been used to make something untrackable/keep it out of the relevant tag for Tumblr Savior purposes. normally, if you try to go to, say, http://www.tumblr.com/tagged/foobar/ it will just discard the trailing slash. however, if you URL escape it and go to http://www.tumblr.com/tagged/foobar%2f then you’ll see all the posts tagged #foobar/ (in this case, just mine)
so if you want to tag something and make the tag untrackable, the only thing that helps right now is adding dashes. at some point, even that might get fixed, although I don’t know if it will or how it will